Rusal suspends all bauxite operations in Guyana on continued unrest

Russian aluminium producer UC Rusal is suspending the operation of its Bauxite Company of Guyana (BCGI) business in Guyana on “serious illegitimate actions” but will continue to obtain bauxite supply from its other mines, it said on Monday February 3.

Rusal owns 90% of BCGI, based in Georgetown, which has an annual production capacity of 2.3 million tonnes of bauxite. The remaining 10% belongs to the Guyanese government. Rusal also owns licenses to develop Linden, Kwakwani and Ituni deposits groups in Guyana.

“The suspension of BCGI will have no impact on the company’s overall performance, as the expected decline in...

Published

Alice Mason

February 03, 2020

16:56 GMT

London